The Pig Idea is a campaign by food waste expert Tristram Stuart and the Feeding the 5000 team in partnership with chef Thomasina Miers
At the heart of The Pig Idea are three major objectives:
- Restore public confidence in the safe, efficient, cost-effective and environmentally friendly practice of feeding surplus food to pigs.
- Encourage more use of already legally permissible food waste as pig feed – for example, bread, dairy, fruit and vegetables that are unfit for human consumption – by raising awareness and understanding of this option amongst supermarkets, food businesses, Animal Health officials and pig farmers.
- Change European law to allow food waste including catering waste to be diverted for use as pig and chicken feed; and to introduce a robust legal framework for its safe processing and use to prevent the outbreak of animal diseases.
In achieving these objectives the following long-term goals will become a reality:
- Liberate food supplies to help feed people
- Lower feed costs for pig farmers
- Reduce economic and environmental costs of disposing of food waste
- Protect landscapes rich in biodiversity, such as the precious Amazon rainforest
- Create jobs and revenue in the new eco-feed industry